Wednesday, September 24, 2008

a motherload of rememberance

Years ago my brother in-law, Dan Noojin, told me that the theme song to the old televsion western classic BONANZA actually had lyrics. Not fully believing him at the time, he proved his claim by singing the theme music to me. I was quite impressed. He sang it with great cowboy gusto. Lorne Greene (aka: Ben Cartwright) actually performed the original song (for those of you who have never seen the show or recognize his deep robust voice).

Bonanza was a long running television show - a pretty good one at that. Dan Blocker was every kid's favorite on the show. Dan played the good natured, big and burly middle son Hoss Cartwright. Dan died due to a blood clot during routine gall bladder surgery back in 1972. The show died not long after that.

I put Bonanza right up there with Gunsmoke.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Bonanza was actually created as a tool to sell Color TV.
It looked so good to see it on a new 25" RCA Color TV.

I loved Bonanza...
I guess everyone identified with HOSS.
Do you remember the episode (may have been a 2 parter..) which showed the birth's of each of the boy's. Unfortunately, Lorne Greene was slathered in Grecian Formula to make him look younger. It only made him look as though his head had been dunked in a bucke to axle grease. Good episode none the less.
BONANZA!!!
mb

David Finlayson said...

I remember that episode. Yes, I believe it was a two parter.

Dan Blocker was great. I enjoyed the commradery between Little Joe & Hoss together.

David Carney, actor that played ranch hand "Candy" Canady, said that the roll of Ben Cartwright was pretty much the person and character of Lorne Greene. David in an interview said that Lorne was just as good and kind man as that of the Ben Cartwright character played.