Monday, August 31, 2009

have a nice day

What is it about this guy? I first remember seeing the Happy Face (his close friends call him Smiley) all over the place back in the very early seventies. His big grin was everywhere, on t-shirts, purses, lunchboxes - you name it. I don't think this guy will ever grow old or go away. There was a time in the mid seventies through the early nineties that he seemed to have semi-retired. It seems the Internet called him back to work sometime in the 1990's. When he came back, he didn't seem to have aged a bit. Smiley is once again all over the place. My younger sister Cindy has always been a big fan. I remember her having jewelry, clothing - anything with that big yellow smiling face on it back in the early days. She's still loves the guy.

2 comments:

Brook said...

In late 1977, on our way to Traverse City, Michigan to finish the first Terry Talbot tour, Don and I saw a very strange thing. As we were driving more-or-less north, we noticed an emormous smiley face rising above a town. It was like the Stay-Puffed marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. It was huge and freaky. I've never felt the same about "harmless" smiley faces since. It was a water tower, of course, but it was the first we had ever seen with a smiley face. They got fairly common not long after that, but that first one was enough for me.

David Finlayson said...

I bet Cindy would pay good money for one of those