Monday, December 7, 2009

fantastic voyage

I remember my fellow classmates at R.A. Mitchell Elementary talking about 'Fantastic Voyage' (1966) that was to air on television that evening. I had no idea what it was about, but figured it must be really cool because of all of the emotional stir around me. Gee whiz - I just HAD TO SEE IT!

It was pretty cutting edge stuff for it's day - that is until '2001: A Space Odyssey' . Take for instance the scene where the miniaturized submarine Prosteus is sucked into a fistula shortly after the it was injected into the bloodstream. The high tech special effect was made by swirling a small sub model in a punch bowl filled with strawberry flavored milk and Cheerios. Breathtaking stuff, I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Voyage

2012 might bring along a remake. I don't know, I like the camp of the original. Even though strawberry milk and Cheerios more than likely will not be used - I foresee nothing surpassing the original. The original Fantastic Voyage has Donald Pleasence!

"When filming the scene where the other crew members remove attacking antibodies from Ms. Peterson for the first time, director Richard Fleischer allowed the actors to grab what they pleased. Gentlemen all, they specifically avoided removing them from Raquel Welch's breasts, with an end result that the director described as a "Las Vegas showgirl" effect. Fleischer pointed this out to the cast members - and on the second try, the actors all reached for her breasts. Finally the director realized that he would have to choreograph who removed what from where, and the result is seen in the final cut." -IMDB

'Inner Space' (1987) was a quazi-remake of Fantastic Voyage that is well worth watching. It was a action/comedy starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, and Meg Ryan.

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Great stuff! It makes me want to go back to 1966!