Friday, November 5, 2010

The Who behind our couch

Yes.  The Who lived behind our living room couch. 

We had a nice looking living room.  Mother kept a clean house considering she had six kids running amok.  The foyer, dinging room and living room were always clean and ready for company.  Just don't look behind the couch.

It was there where the guitars were kept, turn table, rigged speakers, cords and a pile of records.  It was never neat behind the couch.  House guest were just not supposed to look behind them while sitting on the couch.

It was here where I would pick up one of Brook's guitars and strum, hoping one day to become a player.  It was behind the couch that I flipped through my older brother's LP collection.

I'd listen to B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jackson Browne, etc.  I found a lot of great music back there.  Let me tell you.  It was behind the couch that I discovered The Who.  Now I have a great appreciation for The Beatles - but I have a real love of The Who.

How many times did I lay on the couch with the headphones on, listening  and lost in Tommy.  They churned out so much good music.  How could three musicians put out that much sound?   Simply amazing.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

It took me a long time to appreciate the Who. It wasn't until the late 70's that I began to really listen to them. I'm like you, how could such a small group churn out the sound they did.