Sunday, November 16, 2014

comedy is better together

I first noticed that comedy wasn't as fun if experienced alone was in 1977. It was a return of Mel Brook's Young Frankenstein when the show came back to town.  The first time I had seen it was with by brother when it was originally released in 1974. I had watched it several times that initial showing with other friends who had yet to see it.  It was a brilliant piece of work, and still remains one of my favorites. 

In 1977 it had already shown on our little screen at home and I was looking forward to seeing it once again on the big screen.  I just couldn't enjoy it.  It wasn't as funny without having someone to enjoy it with. Sure, a joke isn't as funny after the first time it's heard ~ because we've already heard the punchline.  But Brooks had made a comedic classic ~ a work of art that rates right up there with best of The Marx Brothers.  So there I was, sitting in the mall cinema, hilarious stuff going on, but couldn't laugh.



Maybe it's as simple as the fact that it's easier to laugh with someone than without someone. I can watch Buster Keaton's The General and appreciate the seamless movement and synchronicity of his genius and timing, but not enjoy it to it's fullest because it's a joy that must be shared. Last year I shared Buster Keaton with my youngest daughter Kelsey.  She is now a Keaton fan. I relive his comedy completely again in her presence.  

Not so long ago, my daughter Katie and I would watch The Three Stooges together.  We enjoyed the silliness of it all sitting side by side on the living room couch.  When I was a kid, I'd watch The Three Stooges with my siblings on Saturday mornings, huddled together on a blanket in front of the old black and white Zenith on the living room floor.  Those guys brought giggles and roars of laughter from that young audience.  It wasn't the same until Katie came along, I could laugh at them again.

These days, when a good comedy comes around, which is rare, I don't go it alone. I really believe that you don't know how fun a moment can be when you're not experiencing that moment with someone. I realize this post is terribly redundant, but I'm trying to make a point.
Shared laughter is the best laughter.

No comments: