Sunday, January 11, 2015

Marty and Claire


I've watched a lot of old classics in my time, but I have yet to see them all.  I've always enjoyed seeing Ernest Borgnine on film, Marty is the movie that garnered him the most attention, yet I hadn't seen it until tonight.  I noticed Netflix is streaming it, so I took the time to watch it.

I'm not much into romantic movies, but I do have some favorites.  Frank Capra's 'It Happened One Night' is at the top of my list.  I'm going to have to add Marty to that very short list.


Marty isn't a glamorous movie, this isn't Hollywood, it's a down to earth with characters that come through as believable. Today's romantic movies leave much to be desired, too much skin, always with the R rating.

To me, Marty really captures when two people find each other, those first moments when a guy and a gal are compelled by one another, when that connections made. It captures that fascination, that moment of realization that this person is 'the one'. Even though Marty was made before I was born, in another time and place, I can see a little bit of myself.  I was pleasantly reminded of those days when I first met the girl I married.  In a low key, quick pace, this movie connected with this viewer. Two thumbs up!



No comments: