Thursday, November 9, 2017

America's Sweetheart



My streaming device broke a week ago, so I've been watching DVDs I have around the house.  Gina came home this chilly wet night, slipped under a blanket on the sofa.  "You got anything good to watch?" she asked.  I pulled out Rebecca Of Sunnybrook Farm (1938) starring Shirley Temple. Katie came home from school and sat down for the last half of the show.

It had been a very long time since I watched a Shirley Temple movie. They are all simple, predictable plots ~ but I have always found them enjoyable to watch. Sitting there watching tonight, my thoughts went to my mother and how she loved Shirley Temple throughout her life.

I remember my parents having an LP around the house of Shirley Temple songs recorded from her films.  There was a time I knew every song and lyric on that album.  From time to time, you might hear me humming or singing one of those old tunes.

 
I remember Sunday afternoons after church, the family watched Shirley Temple Theater on public television. I don't know how many times I've watched her movies, mostly during my childhood.  I never grew out of enjoying her, as silly as those films can be.  I know she'll always come out on top ~ but I'm rooting for her until the credits roll.

Shirley's movies seem to travel well through time, with the ability to entertain folks young and old from generation to generation.  Katie remarked, "I never saw that one." 

Well, she made a bunch of them.

No comments: