Wednesday, August 25, 2010

waiting on a sign

One of my favorite signs, I can't explain why, is the old Pure Oil sign.  My favorite is the Pure sign with the red arrow behind it (as shown above).  The most common version is the Pure sign sans arrow.

Years ago, when Jim Thompson and I were working on the Christian Brothers 'Skylight' stage, I had my eye out for a Pure sign.  It was a small wood planked stage that Jim and I were trying to transform into the faux front of a general store/gas station.  I had in mind having the sign hanging over the front of a stage as if performers were playing on a front porch.  Because it was a Christian coffeehouse, I thought the Pure gave spiritual significance. 

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things." - Philippians 4:8

I never did get that stage quite the way I wanted it - mainly because I was waiting on a sign.  Even twenty two years ago, the signs were rarely seen in our neck of the woods.
As a graphic designer, I've developed a good many logos down through the decades.   So not only do I appreciate the Pure logo for nostalgic reasons, but for the simple, powerful aesthetics of this piece of old school corporate branding.  To me, it's a beautiful thing.

No comments: