Tuesday, July 19, 2011

jelly glasses

 I ran across a memory at a yard sale a few weeks ago.  I found a box of old jelly jar drinking glasses.  I remember our family had a cabinet full of them when I was growing up.  Years ago, before jelly and jams were sold in plastic containers, they were sold in glass jars.  The smart capitalists at the jelly factories came up with a great idea.  They started making their jelly jars attractive enough for moms everywhere to want to use the empty jars as drinking glasses.  The lids to these jars were pop-off as opposed to screw on.  The smooth rim made the jelly jars made excellent drinking glasses.

It wasn't long before the guys in marketing got around to targeting kids by using cartoon characters (Flintstones, Jetsons, Bugs Bunny, etc).  I don't recall having many of these.   Mom wasn't into buying the cool cartoon glasses.  Instead, I remember having jelly glasses like the ones pictured above.

Mother also used Armour Dried Beef jars as juice glasses.  I always remember having to drink my O.J. from those little dried beef shot-glass
es.  They make for great kid glasses, but I never got enough OJ as a kid.

2 comments:

Bobby said...

Wow! I had forgotten all about those glasses. We used them in our home too. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

The smaller one pictured with it came with snuff in it.