Friday, May 4, 2012

dark shadows

I wasn't a big fan of the show, but my geek friends in school couldn't wait to get home to watch it.  If you don't recall, Dark Shadows was a goth soap opera that starred a vampire named Barnabas Collins.  I rarely watched the show because I didn't care for soap operas even if it had vampires and werewolves.  Even though I didn't see it much, that Barnabas Collins was a haunting fellow.  He was played by Canadian actor Johnathan Frid who just  recently passed away on Friday, April 13th.

Gina and I went to the movies last weekend and I saw a large cardboard standup in the lobby of Johnny Depp as Barnabas Collins.  I had read where Depp had been a huge fan of the show when he was a kid - wanted to be Barnabas.  Well, here's his chance.  Director Tim Burton was also a fan of Dark Shadows as a kid (figures) and I'm sure it will be an interesting show.  Tim and Johnny always make a great team.

I'm sure the movie will go over well.  There's a lot of kids out there that are drawn to creepy goth motif like a moths are to a flame.  Tim Burton is really talented when it comes to creepy goth.  I remember Tim's early work Frankenweenie.  I have always enjoyed Burton's twisted world.  Dark Shadow's is right up his dark alley.  I hope though that the movie steers from being the soap opera and more of a macabre comedy.  I'll go without expectations and let him surprise me.

Here's to Frid though, may you finally rest in peace. Just seeing this image of him replays the opening theme of Dark Shadows in my mind!!!  If anything, the movie has to open with the sea crashing against the shore and the silhouette of a castle against the night.  That music, that whistle bleeding through the sound of the crashing waves.  It must start like that.


No comments: