Sunday, August 25, 2013

hasten down the wind


When I heard the news about her, my mind couldn't quit thinking about her.  Linda left the spotlight today.  She said that Parkinson's Disease has taken her voice away. She'd been singing professionally since she was fourteen.  She was with the Stone Poneys when she was 18. She went on to rule the airwaves in the seventies.  She had a long, successful run, making millions upon millions.  She proved herself a long time ago that she is the greatest female voice of our generation.  All that aside, my heart goes out to her because she's an artist that can no longer sing.  Her beautiful voice is gone.

About this time ten yen years ago Warren Zevon, a songwriter who wrote some of Linda's greatest hits was dying of cancer.  Toward the end, as his life was running out of steam, he spent his fading energy and last breaths expressing one final record with the help of friends.  The Wind was released just two weeks before his death.
 

Years ago I sat in Arnie's small apartment.  He didn't like me dropping by without my guitar.  He would always have his guitar available, even when he could no longer play it.  M.S. had not yet taken away his ability to play guitar, or scribble down lyrics at that point.  It was getting progressively harder for him to sing those lyrics.  He labored at each word he sang.  We sat in his living room playing and singing together, sharing songs and talking about music.  At that point in his life, he was still clinging onto his music and his guitar by his fingertips.  Songs were always in him, but there came a day he could no longer jot his lryics down or sing his songs.  It soon left him.  I carry on his music along with mine because I love his songs and I still love him.

I don't want to take my life or gifts for granted.  As each day passes, we will all eventually lose our voices ~ our abilities.  Earth is a temporary place.  Our bodies are temporary vessles with dates of expiration that only God knows.   We each only have only so many days to sing while here.

Sing while you can.



5 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

David, this is the part of getting older we always knew, but were not prepared for. Is anyone ever prepared? Hero's die. Artist no longer create. NO wonder we hold on to Classic Rock stations and Retro-TV....because in those medium's, we are still teenagers. There is a comfort to nostalgia. I am grateful that God created memories and the wonderful feelings that well up inside when we connect with a really good one. But it still hurts when the reality of life gets longe and longer and the people you love drop one by one. Thanks for sharing about Linda. She is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your post David. They come from the heart and they speak to the heart. dan

David Finlayson said...

I sing your songs too Dan. Just like Arnie - I love your songs and I love you.

Steve Snead said...

Wonderful blog David. I've been thinking about her ever since i heard it. I played the Heart Like A Wheel album (8 trek) :-) back in the day until I wore it out. I've lost some old classmates and friends and seen others battle cancer and other issues. I've gotten to the age where I "Hope" it's just heartburn or just a mole or a skin tag. Where each breath is precious and I need to "prop up" a little to sleep at night. God Bless Linda Ronstadt and God Bless you David.

David Finlayson said...

Thank you Steve. God bless you too!