Friday, October 3, 2014

Caribbean Blue is Parrish Blue

About the time music videos lost their newness, started becoming formulaic, along came Enya from across the sea.  Her music was ethereal, layered and textured, as were the music videos that accompanied her songs.  The 'Watermark' LP made this Irish woman and international star.  'Sail Away' was a big in the United States.  Her album, 'Shepherd Moons' featured a song with very nice visuals that appealed to me.  'Caribbean Blue' is a song that features wistful imageries of Maxfield Parrish brought to life.  All of Enya's videos are rich in color, with thick textures as if painting oil with a knife.  Shepherd Moons is no different.  This tribute to Maxfield was a perfect marriage of both audio and visual.

I had discovered the fantastical works of Maxfield Parrish and Arthur Rackham in my teens, right before I discovered the brothers Tim and Greg Hildebrandt. I've always appreciated illustrators who could put the meat on the bones of fiction characters. Another artist that comes to mind is N.C Wyeth.  Maxfield Parrish was the first for me, and maybe that's why I find Enya's Caribbean Moons personally satisfying.

Watching this video today, I think of my daughter Katie, how she loves books.
Caribbean Blue reminds me of one of my favorite artist, with imagery that captures what awaits young eyes inside dusty old books. I was reminded when Katie started getting into reading, experiencing new worlds spinning into existence as she reached from page to page, book to book ~ from world to world. These visuals bring these sweet moments back to me. Through her eyes I was reminded of my early pilgrimages, my first adventures into printed worlds.

Enya of course, is always pleasant to listen to, like feeling a cool breeze from the sea, or the first bite of a York Peppermint Pattie.  Her music is ever soothing, and  nice that the video of awakened Parrish figures were invited to the dance.

No comments: