Sunday, September 13, 2009

tales of terror


Tonight I am watching Tales of Terror (1963) on Hulu.

Back in the early to mid seventies, Jamey Moore and my brother Brooky would let me tag along with them to the drive-in. We'd usually go see spaghetti westerns or American International or Hammer films. Rainbow Drive-In was still open during those days, but we usually frequented Rebel Drive-In in Attalla.

It was during one of these nights that I watched Tales of Terror (based on the works of Edgar Allen Poe) for the first time. This movie is the handy work of B-Movie master Roger Corman. Back then it was common for movies to be brought back time and time again to the big screen. When ever a new horror flick would be released, they'd usually resurrect an older cult classic.

To me, horror movies just don't seem the same when watched in a theater. I always enjoyed watching them at drive-ins.

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

When I was very young, I went with my aunt and her friend to a drive-in; don't remember which one. I don't know if it was tales of terror, but something like that. One was about a woman and daughter left alone near Christmas while husband's on a business trip; there's a criminal santa outbreak as well. I was creeped out! She ends up killing the santa who turns out to be her husband trying to surprise her. The other one was a 3 wishes gone amiss kind of thing; the husband is dead in the coffin and with the last wish she wishes him alive and he comes to life in terrible torment cause he's embalmed...made a lasting impression...denise

David Finlayson said...

Jose, I think you are referring to 'Tales From The Crypt' movie made back in 1972. I also saw this movie at the drive-in with Brook and Jamey. There is Santa Claus story in this movie - but not the one you mentioned. I do recall a story with that plot, but can't recall the movie. The story with the three wishes is based on the story, 'The Monkey's Claw'. This movie was terrific, good stories. There were five tales told in Tales From the Crypt - all were creepy and unforgettable. You poor kid.