Wednesday, November 4, 2009

for those who missed Candy

The first time I saw John Candy was in the television show SCTV. The show was just as funny, and at times even funnier than Saturday Night Live at it's best. SCTV was consistently funny. As we entered the eighties, the Second City crew started getting parts on the big screen. John Candy was probably the most successful of SCTV cast.

I miss John Candy, probably more so than I do John Belushi. I wish he were still around. Those who knew him said he had a heart of gold. I can believe that. I could always identify with John, he just had this likable-vulnerable-everyman way about him. There are not many movie stars that I'd care to have over to my home for a visit. John Candy would have been welcomed.

If you're reading this blog and have yet to discover him - go rent 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' (co-starring with Steve Martin) or 'Uncle Buck' (both John Hughes films). Another John Hughes film that both John Candy starred along side Dan Aykroyd was a comedy called 'The Great Outdoors'. The first movie I remember seeing him in was 'Stripes' (with Bill Murray).

I also enjoyed the Carl Reiner movie which starred him 'Summer Rental'. The other Reiner film that John Candy co-starred in was 'Space Balls', a spoof of Star Wars. There were a lot of great comedies to come out of the eighties. John Candy starred in many of them.

Not all his comedies were blockbusters. His last picture, 'Wagon's East' was the worst. John Candy died during the filming and his presence was replaced by a double. I am sure that if he had lived, the movie would have been funnier. Some of his movies were not all that funny - but I always liked seeing him at work. He was a likable fellow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cried the day he died. Every movie that he made tickled my funny bone.

Brook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.