Friday, May 6, 2011

when good lost it's goodness

John Wayne was the last real movie good guy.  I remember watching my old hero slowly ride into the celluloid sunset, as a young gun-Clint Eastwood, rode into scene from the Italian West.  No more white hats.  After Eastwood there were no more real good guys.  Westerns were changing, and so was our culture.   The movie audience started paying money to watch anti-heroes rather than heroes.  Now this might not have started with Eastwood, but it was when I noticed the shift.

Now I like the anti-hero movies (especially Sergio Leone' movies) but The Good from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly wasn't really a good guy after all.  Let's shoot straight -the man with no name was a fortune hunter.  He wasn't a selfless character.  His motive, like that of The Bad and The Ugly was money.


Don't get me wrong.  I am a big fan of the anti-hero genre, but we lost something.  We lost the goodness in good.  We lost the real good along the way.  I miss it.

No comments: