Sunday, April 15, 2012

UHF

My favorite station growing up was Ted Turner's WTCG that broadcasted out of Atlanta.  WTCG ran old movies from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.  They also played second hand sitcoms, dramas, and  along with old theatrical cartoons. Turner would pick up old shows at a discount and rerun them on his station.  Frankly, 17 was the best channel ever.  Later WTCG was dubbed the Super Station when the FCC allowed Turner beam his programming via satellite.  WTCG later became WTBS.  They showed a lot of old movie classics and I love old movies.

I loved coming home from school to watch re-runs of The Wild,Wild West, Man From Uncle, Star Trek, I Love Lucy, Leave It To Beaver, Abbot and Costello Show.  I even liked watching odd-ball shows like Ultra Man and the anime classic Speed Racer. 

WTCG also introduced me to my favorite late night news anchor Bill Tush.  Tush had a quirky sense of humor and had a hilarious news show that aired at 3 in the morning.

WTCG  also produced a late night horror show called FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHTS (1972-73) that  was hosted by a fellow by the stage name of Dead Ernest.  It has been rumored that Ted played Dead, but Turner denies it.  Until someone divulges the real name of Dead Ernest, I will believe that Ted Turner is lying through his crooked fanged teeth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was Ted turner, I remember his crazy mannerisms. They say it is someone else, but that guy looks nothing like the guy I remember.