Wednesday, December 26, 2012

something missing


Gina and I bought our house in Southside the week before Katie was born over sixteen years ago.  The house has a fireplace upstairs and downstairs.  We use the downstairs fireplace because I don't particularly care for toting logs up a staircase.  All these years we've lived here, I've regretted not having a mantel around Christmas time.  Neither of my fireplaces have a mantel.  We always put up our Christmas tree downstairs.  I'm always disappointed that we don't have a place to hang stockings by the chimney with care.

Growing up in our house on Scenic, we had a beautiful mantel over our fireplace.  There was a beautiful old antique clock perched upon it.  Around Christmas, Mom would trim it with boughs holly.  Candles looked great up there too.  On Christmas morning we'd find our stockings hanging on the mantle stuffed with goodies.


After all these years living here, I  still feel something is missing.  I know it's just aesthetics and me being a little nostalgic, but it matters to me.  I've pondered many ways to put a mantle downstairs.  The rock on the wall (upstairs and down) are very uneven.  Nothing made would be able to fit flush against the rock.  At least nothing that I would be able to make.  One of these days I'll figure out a way, or pay someone to figure out a way for us to finally have a mantle over our fireplace.

One day I'll get my mantle, and it's going to be a big one, and home is going to feel more like home.


No comments: