Sunday, December 23, 2012

traditions


When I was young, we had Christmas traditions.  Every Christmas holiday seemed to unfold the same way surrounded by the same familiar faces.  As time passed, traditions faded, new traditions established to later change again.

For quite sometime now, I find myself without Christmas traditions.  Each Christmas holiday season, every day seems to be just a reaction to what is transpiring immediately around me at each moment.  Most days I don't know how to respond other than try to go along with the flow of whatever happens next.

With a crazy economy, we have less to give.  With much sickness, we have less time and energy to think about having a Christmas like the ones we used to know - or would like to know.  I feel like a deer in a headlight these days.  I miss the tradition, but have little time for it.  I'm a little lost.  All I know to do is seize each day for what it's worth and enjoy the warmth of home and the love of family.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

You don't make traditions....they happen. There is a sense stability in our traditions. We own them and they whisper to us that "Even though the world has gone mad...for this moment in time...you have something to hang on to." Traditions are familiarity that helps to be grounded. I fully understand what you are speaking of when you say that Christmas has changed....Not as many presents or time. But don't let such thoughts rob you of the real joy of Christmas...You have two incredible presents in the girls that you and Gina are raising....living, breathing proof of the love God has for the two of you. And don't forget, you have each other....to stay married in this day and time is not the norm. Take it from a 40+ year veteran of marriage...that woman in your life is the most incredible gift God gave you...just like you are the God given gift to her. So love each other...remember together...share family memories and let love rule.
If I thought you wouldn't hit me...I'd call you George Bailey...the richest man in Bedford Falls.
Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla...

Anonymous said...

GIFTS, gifts gifts gifts I could hang myseft on all the ugly neck ties, yes home is where the heart is makes me feel warm to look at my family and know God is love and has blessed us all so much. Having and giving less stuff brings me to the place to see I really have more.back to the basic traditions of the season kind of a do over for me.

David Finlayson said...

Wow. Great thoughts.

I know it's more than gifts. I just wish I could give more. Gina and I had little time to shop for Santa. It's going to be a moderate Christmas this year.

Weeks ago Kelsey(10) wanted me to put up some lights outside. I couldn't. With Gina's mother in the hospital then rehab, with our taking turns having the flu, all we could manage was get up a tree with a couple of strands of lights. We really haven't much time to be around it.

Yesterday the family did drive down to Birmingham an enjoyed a nice meal together and watched The Hobbit. It was time we made for family. We are all glad we did.

Both Gina's mom and dad are having health problems. This might very well be Mr. Hale's last Christmas. We are trying to be where we are needed each day.

I'm rambling now. God bless you all. Have a merry Christmas!