Saturday, January 11, 2014

identity crisis



I never told anyone this before, but there was a brief time my life I didn't like my name.  As a kid, the name 'David'  just didn't seem to have much pizazz to it.  I know it's the name my mom and dad gave me right after the doctor slapped me around, but it just didn't seem to fit.

I discovered my love for drawing about the time I was in second grade.  I couldn't get enough of it.  I remember practicing drawing characters from 'Peanuts' over and over again until I got pretty good at it.  Charlie Brown was the first character to master because his head was round.  I could draw round real good.  Snoopy was the next on my list.  That nose of his sure was a challenge.

Throughout elementary school I became known as the kid that could draw real good.  My parents didn't know when I was born that I was going to be the kid that could draw real good.  I often thought to myself that my name should reflect my special ability.  David just didn't cut it.

I once read a Peanuts strip in the Sunday funnies where Charlie Brown mentioned to his  friends that he didn't want to be called by his name, but by a name with more pizazz. The gang started coaxing him into revealing the moniker he preferred. He finally opened up and said it, "
FLASH!" All the kids started laughing at him.  Poor Charlie Brown.

I knew the name I wanted.  I didn't want it to be just a nickname.  I wanted it to be my real name.  I wanted people to know me as
'ART'.  I knew deep down though that that would never happen.  I was a David and there was nothing I could do about it.

As time went by the desire faded.  Every time I looked in the mirror with each passing year I looked more and more like a David.  I don't think I could've been anyone else but a David.  Even when I look in the mirror today I look like a David.  My mom and dad knew what they were doing all along.

No comments: