Sunday, April 27, 2008

wish list of 1966

Okay, this is the first time you'll see something G.I. Joe related in this Boomerville, USA blog - and it won't be the last. This folks is the the G.I. Joe Five Star Jeep from the old Sears & Roebuck Wish Book. I got this toy after two years of begging Santa for it. The cannon on the back actually shot hard shells. I had to take a long screwdriver to poke out the plastic wall the Hasbro people put in there as hindsight because this is one of those toys that could put an eye out. I became a very good aim with it. I first saw the G.I. Joe Jeep in the Sears & Roebuck Wish Book but didn't lay my eyes on the real thing until mom and dad made a trip to Masons in Anniston.

I got my Five Star Jeep on Christmas morning and immediately loaded all my joes on in for a recon outing. I didn't wait for family members to finish opening their presents...orders were orders and we took off around the house that cold December morning. We were doing pretty good there, not a Nazi in sight when I heard a voice from behind me, "INCOMING!" I turned just in time to see a basketball coming, no time to react. Brook had thrown it and laughing. It was a direct hit - Joes went everywhere and my new Five Star Jeep was minus a tailgait. Needless to say - I FREAKED!!!!

5 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I was a deprived child.
I never got a "JOE".
I had the bag of gazillion soldiers that you played with.
I had tons of cowboys and Indians (how P.C.).
The closest I ever got to a JOE was the "Big" soldiers you use to could buy at McClleans 5 & 10.
They were colored plastic according to the country they were from. Green for U.S. GI's.
Gray for Germans....
Brown/beige for Japanese.
The soldiers themselves were about 5 to 6 inches tall.
I was jealous of anywho who had GI Joe and espcially if they had more than one and a whold bunch of different suits and weapons.....
I did manage to survive and grow up to be a somewhat dysfunctional adult. I can hear my shrink now....
MR. Bynum all your aggressison comes from the fact that you never had a GI Joe....go! go! go buy you one and be healed....

mb

David Finlayson said...

I remember the big plastic soldiers. I had a few, they looked just like the little ones only gi-normous.

I liked the little green armymen. I had hundreds of them when I was a kid.

Come over to my house sometime and I will pull a bunch of joes out of storage and we'll play. We will look silly but I don't mind being silly with you.

Greene Street Letters said...

man....that's a date. Not date like boy/girl date...no..we're not, well you know. More like that's a date, like on the calander. A time set aside to be together...well, not really together...let's say..in the same room. Man, this is complicated...

mb

Brook said...

I remember being in Chattanooga with Dad one time. I went into a store looking for Civil War soldiers. I'd been to the Confederama (now the Battles for Chattanooga Museum) on Lookout Mountain, and I figured I could find some Civil War soldiers in a place like Chattanooga. I didn't see any so I asked and the lady went into the back and came out with these big plastic silver soldiers. Of course, Silver War soldiers!

David Finlayson said...

Brook...do you remember what you did with the surplus practice grenade - the rope - and a G.I. Joe? We reinacted that scene in The Green Berets (John Wayne Vietnam movie)where they kidnapped the Gook officer and "air-lifted" him? GOOOO-JOE!!!