Monday, June 23, 2008

Get Smart 1965

Mel Brooks and Buck Henry produced a wonderful spy-spoof comedy gem back in the mid-sixties. Ex-Marine drill instructor turned comedic actor Don Adams played Special Agent 86 in television's GET SMART. It was a great show...at least the first few seasons were great. Adams is most remembered for that clumsy spy roll and tried to resurrect the roll in the 80's and 90's but they were all duds.

This past Saturday Gina and I took the girls to see the movie GET SMART with Steve Carell playing Agent 86. Most of you who know me know that I don't risk going to movies advertised as comedies these days. I crossed my fingers as I shelled out my money for a matinee...for the girls David...for the girls.

I was not disappointed. This movie was very funny and highly adventurous. I found myself laughing out loud many times and thought the movie paid a wonderful homage to the original television series. It was a great cast with plenty of cameos. I give the movie Get Smart two thumbs up (I only have two). I'm going to see if it's playing at the drive-in this coming weekend.

The only elements that it could have done without was the bad language and the obese lady shooting the bird scene. Other than that - it was a good experience.

No comments: