Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the plastic space race was on

I didn't own one of these 6" rubber and wire guys but I knew some kids who did. The only time I remember playing with Major Matt Mason was on a trip to Columbia, SC while visiting my aunts and uncles. David Wrisley lived directly across the street from my aunt Jennie Llew (where we usually stayed) on Wateree Avenue. David Wrisley had a huge collection of these guys on the ground in their front yard. We played with his little space dudes amid the shrubbery in the cool dirt - under the shade of the eaves.
Both John, David, and Judy Wrisley were at the service last Thursday in Cheraw. Seeing David reminded me of those space action figures of his.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

I actually had several of these guys -- probably inherited them from my older brothers.

If I recall, we "launched" a few into a low orbit via super-size bottle rockets . . .

David Finlayson said...

I bet if we knew each other as kids...we could have caused all kinds of cool distruction.

Darryl said...

Yeah, we would've had a blast . . . literally.

Sometime, I'll have to tell you the story about the blasting caps I found in Dad's garage.

I guess I was lucky that only one person had to go to the hospital . . .

David Finlayson said...

I've got a few stories to tell as well. It's amazing I survived my childhood.