Monday, April 27, 2009

Voyage to the Bottom of the Bathtub

This is the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Seaview Submarine Playset by Remco. My neighborhood pal Billy Daugette had one of these. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post that the Daugettes had a huge gold fish pond by their house. It was the first time that I'd ever seen HUGE goldfish. The pond made for an excellent environment in which to play Voyage of The Bottom of the Sea. I didn't have one of these toys but Billy was a pal that never minded sharing. Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was a show that aired from 1964 to 1968 on ABC. Just think of an underwater version of Star Trek. It was a pretty good show - at least I thought it was at the time. It's been a very long time since I've seen an entire episode. The Seaview on television was an atomic powered super submarine. The Seaview that came with the playset above was powered by harnessed elastic energy. I don't know what eventually happened to The Seaview that Billy owned. It probably went the way of most of our toys after being decommissioned. Chances are it was melted down with lighter fluid or gasoline. A cherry bomb would have done the trick.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I wonder how many Hollywood F/X men started out blowing up GI Joes and model airplanes. Setting fire to cars and yes, even the USS Seaview?
mb

Brook said...

I'm sure you remember a short combat film called GI Heroes starring David Finlayson and Eric Chunn. Remember the "lighter fluid and plastic army man" FX when the grenade hit the troop truck? That kind of quality work didn't come without years of practice. And lots of little green army men. BTW, has anybody got a copy of GI Heroes or any of those other shorts we made?

David Finlayson said...

I think I have a copy somewhere. I need to dig it up. Remember how the German soldier in the back of the truck didn't participate in the realism of the moment. He just stood there and melted as the truck burned. There are some limitations to using little green army men when pulling off special F/X.

Oh well - you have to start somewhere.