Tuesday, August 23, 2011

the wacky world of yesterday

This was originally posted at my Long Journey Home blog March 19, 2007 prior to my launching Boomerville, USA.  This really belongs here because it's very a boomer post.  So here it is again, with a few corrections.
I've had this picture for quite some time now. I ran across it when dad asked me to get rid of a ton of old records from his office. I found some cool stuff that he let me keep. This image is the grand opening of Biff-Burger that was located at edge of Agricola Shopping Center parking lot at the foot of Noccalula Mountain on 301 N. 12th Street.  The Gadsden Cinema was later built behind it.  This picture has always made me chuckle when I see it. I mean - look at all the people that showed up for the first night of business.  Biff-Burger must have made a killing on fifteen cent cheeseburgers that night!

I didn't eat there much growing up. The last time I went was with Dan Noojin. His dad wanted a milkshake from there and we all drove down together. That was at least 25 years ago. If memory serves, the place was leveled by the end of eighties. Gadsden used to have a bunch of burger joints back in the 60's. The big hang out when my older brother and sister were in high school was Burger Chef on Meighan Blvd. I remember eating there a good bit. I also remember Pick-A-Burger. The Big Chief is still open in Glencoe.  I also remember the Panther Pit in Southside, AL.  Magic Burger in Attalla is still going strong. Gina doesn't like going to these places for some reason. I like to go to them because they usually serve better tasting burgers than the big franchises.

I've got an idea.  How about packing your family in the car tonight and patronize an old burger joint? I think I'm going to take my girls to Magic Burger for an ice cream. Sounds like fun huh?

No comments: