Friday, October 4, 2013

down town


I think of my downtown every time I hear this song.  I imagine this tune must make most baby-boomers think of a particular downtown of their youth.  I remember Down Town playing over our AM radio as my mother was driving us down and around Broad Street in Gadsden, AL in the early sixties.  Petula Clark's clear voice filled the car.  I was sitting in the middle of the backseat playing with a little blue plastic car that mom purchased for me in the downstairs toy department at W.T. Grant's. I was very excited to be downtown and to have that little toy car, looking out the window at all the people on the sidewalk.   It's just a snippet of a memory, but a very clear memory.  This song is attached to that particular moment in time.  It is also attached to my home town.  Every time I hear it I think of my downtown.  Is it the same for you?



No comments: