Saturday, July 19, 2008

Superman and the American way!

I didn't read many of his comic books when I was a kid, so the old televison show starring George Reeves was my first image of Superman. Superman was just as big a hit then as he is now.

In this commercial - Clark Kent is hawking his television show's sponsor - Kelloggs brand Frosted Flakes. I think the commercials are kind of creepy because ol' Clark is using his super powers to sell cereal. I know that capitalism is part of "the American Way" - but does it also encompass going around neighborhoods peeping in on people? I don't think so!

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I was able to purchase the Superman collection...all the episodes from the tv series.
What kid from the 50's would not recognize the music from when Superman would launch into the air to fly....
Hokey? probably...
but I still love the series.

mb

David Finlayson said...

Actually - right as I read your comment - the sound and imagery immediately came to mind.
-df