Tuesday, July 29, 2008

wow gee whiz

Back when I was a kid - school lunches sucked like a bucket of tics. That's why many parents in those days let kids take PB&J's to school in tin lunch boxes. The coolest lunch box of all time was the Batman & Robin lunchbox produced by Aladdin in 1966. The other coolest lunch box of all time was The Green Hornet. I was a big fan of Batman when I was a kid and so I envied all the kids with the Batman & Robin lunchboxes. I didn't get one because I guess my Mom and Dad wanted me to take in the whole school experience - which included their bland nasty food. R.A. Mitchell did have great yeast rolls. I believe it was my red headed freckled faced pal Mitchell Gregory that first taught me how to toke yeast rolls. What you did was poke a hole in the roll and inhale deep on the full essence of the warm buttery rolls. After about three rolls you could actually get a yeast roll buzz. I kid you not. If you ran out of rolls, you could always point up to the ceiling and yell "Hey look - BATMAN!" Kids, 100% of the time in fact would look up - only to see nothing but their yeast roll gone. Darn that dastardly Joker!

But I digress - Now if I did take a lunch to school it was in a brown paper bag. It just wasn't the same. Sure, I could draw Batman & Robin on the bag, but that didn't make it cool. Nothing like the look and feel of full color superheros stamped into tin. It was the Batman & Robin lunchbox that was the lunchbox to have if you were a boy (or a cool girl). Now I wasn't completely without Batman stuff. I did have a cool Batman & Robin coloring book based on the popular television show of that day. I remember Dad offering to have a Batman costume made for me but I lost interest quick when he insisted on having the name Batboy sewn onto the chest of the outfit. We were both quite insistent and I lost out on being my favorite cape crusader. The idea never got off the drawing board. I didn't want to be BatB-O-Y!!!! I'M BATMAN!

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Alas...
My Mom and Dad were of the BROWN BAG BRIGADE.
What? Buy you a lunch box? What's wrong with you boy....lunches are better in a brown paper bag.

Why do we always refer to them as "Brown-paper-bags"? Why do we define the color. The only other type of paper bags I knew of were the white ones you got your order in at the DAIRY QUEEN. Or the colored bags (not a racial slur) that candy came in from Sears or Grants Candy counter.
mb

David Finlayson said...

My mother inlaw worked the Sears & Roebuck candy counter - back when Sears was where it should've stayed - in the old Sears building. Heck, I don't even know what's in that building now but it'll always be the old Sears building to me.

"Excuse me sir - can you tell me where the Alabama Power Company is located?"

"Yes sir - It's located across the street from the old Sears building in the old Sear's parking lot."