Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the way of the dodo bird

Gina uses Polaroid film here at the clinic. It is what is required by Medicare and Blue Cross Blue Shield for documenting patient progress. Any other modes can be altered by programs like PhotoShop. Polaroid film is expensive. There are only ten shots per packet and Gina says that her experience is that one shot never turns out. I was paying $11.00 per package (10 shots). Before coming to work today Gina told me that she needed me to go buy some more, she had a patient coming in that required photo documentation. For these last minute requests I usually run to Kmart in East Gadsden. I was told when I got there that they were no longer selling Polaroid film. I then drove to Walmart where I they had four packets left. The clerk behind the counter told me that they were not going to sell them anymore. That the Polaroid Land Camera are officially obsolete. When returned to the office I Googled Polaroid and found out that the company had closed their plant. No more Polaroid! I say good riddance! By the way - the film that I HAD to buy today was jacked up to over $15.00! That's $15.00 for 9 good shots. Maybe now the insurance companies will let us submit the more affordable digital images from now on. I will need to do some home work and see what we a can be able to use.

So Polaroid is no more! That's all folks! Remember when it was the new technology. All one had to do was aim and shoot and out popped a picture? It's the end of an era and quit frankly - it's about time.

1 comment:

David Finlayson said...

I finally got hold of a Medicare representative that told me that instant film was no longer a requirement. We can use print-outs from digital cameras. That's a relief...and it's a lot cheaper!
-df