Tuesday, November 4, 2008

juke at the lake


Paul Revere and The Raiders and Indian Reservation. Every time I hear that song, it takes me back to a specific place and time - Chunn's Lake in Hokes Bluff - late sixties / early seventies. The lake was owned by my Uncle G.W.& Aunt Ina Chunn. That song used to echo from their dance hall at the lake.  Music from my little pocket transistor couldn't match the big sound in that room - because that place seemed to do something special for every song that emitted from that old jukebox. I loved listening to the music in that place. Indian Reservation was my favorite song to play in there. I don't know why. The room had perfect acoustics for the music - as if that jukebox were always meant to be there. I pass that old building from time to time - I wonder if it's still in there - if that old music machine sits silently waiting for a kid with a quarter - to warm the tubes - shuffle the 45's - bring the old place back to life again - rattle the windows and roll the music across the planked floor like a bowling balls.

Chunn's Lake back in the day.

No comments: