Saturday, November 29, 2008

last ride

What is it about that man? AMC played The Shootist today. I watched it a few months ago - and watched it yet again this afternoon. I went to see it when it first played back in 1976. In the movie Wayne's character was dying of cancer - he was wrestling with it in real life as well. He passed away in 1979. When going to the movie - we knew it was The Duke's last ride - hanging up his white hat afterward.

The Shootist isn't a great movie. John made some good movies in his lifetime - but the best were under the direction of Howard Hawks, or his good friend John Ford. Even so, The Shootist has it's place in my heart because it was John Wayne's way of saying goodbye to his audience. I watched it today - a little choked - not the first time. It's a kind of feeling one would have about a lost uncle. I loved that old cowboy and what he stood for. Even though his movies later in life had become rather simple - the man had more dimension. He was a real good guy - a bona-fied straight talking man who stuck to his guns - stuck to his values - even without the hat.
Sometimes I watch him captured on celluloid - and sometimes a kid again - transported back to the day when he still roamed Monument Valley.

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Bernard Books (Wayne)
George C. Scott was originally offered the part, but it was Wayne that eventually got it. It seemed fitting. I've often thought it would have been nice if one of the old school directors like Ford or Hawks. But they were no longer behind the camera. Robert Altman might have been a better choice over Don Siegel. This isn't a slam against Siegel - he's made a bunch of great movies - but not on this one. James Stewart, Lauren Bacall, and Richard Boone were great in this movie. I remember when watching it for the first time - not being able to get Ron Howard's Richie Cunningham out of my head. Ron Howard was after all still churning candy coated episodes of Happy Days on TV. Watching the movie today - I do appreciate Ron's roll more now in this movie - but believe it would probably have been better to have had hired a lesser known actor for that particular part. The old shootist was dealing with his mortality - while a boy was coming of age. The movie was just as much about the boy's passage as it was the old mans. The casting of a different young actor might have made a difference for me. Someone other than Richie Cunningham - maybe Warren "Potsie" Weber.
Just kidding of course.

No use crying over spilt cowboys. The movie is what it is and still worth recommending. I couldn't help but sit there on the couch and watch the whole thing all over again - and saddened once again to see my hero dying on the bar room floor. Hollywood didn't give him the credit he was due as an actor - but the public down through the years still do.

I have to warn you - there's some folks that I will revisit here in Boomerville. John Wayne is among my favorites (I, your self proclaimed Boomerville Mayor). Just down Main Street - our little theater regularly has Duke's name up there all lit up on the marque. We have been making plans of erecting a statue of The Duke in the town square by early Fall of next year. We baby-boomers still have a great fondness for that dead cowboy. He's still our number one hero - a genuine good guy.

3 comments:

Darryl said...

Everytime I watch The Shootist, I appreciate it a little more. Like you, it's special to me because it's his last movie. Not his best, but not bad by any means.

Of course, a bad John Wayne movie is better than most films made today.

RODRIGUEZ said...

Hey...I loved the Shootist. I've grown to love many John Wayne films. we've purchased many over the past year...including the Shootist, Sons of Katie Elder, Rio Bravo, True Grit, Big Jake and Cahill to name a few. Good movies. We certainly enjoy his honest approach to life and no-nonsense kick butt attitude.

David Finlayson said...

John Wayne was one of a kind.