Monday, May 17, 2010

Clackers?

I remember Clackers.  Back in the seventies, this is the fad toy that kids sought.  Believe it or not, for a short time, we were actually allowed to take them to school with us.  This photo doesn't represent the actual size of the toy.  The Clackers that I had, each ball was about 2" in diameter.  Mine were pale blue with a brass ring.  Clackers made such a loud clatter that it wasn't long before teachers started confiscating them.  What's the fun in taking Clackers to school if you couldn't clack?

Eventually this toy disappeared from stores.  I heard that a lot of kids got hurt playing with them.  I heard that some of the huge marble-like balls were known to shatter.  I heard that some kids injured other kids with them.  Even as kids, we knew that the toy looked a lot like the ancient hunting/ killing implement called the Bola.  It was only a matter of time before us kids were deprived of this most wonderful toy.

Post a Comment