Wednesday, May 14, 2008

when the world was black and white

Boomers are the last generation to have known the world in black and white. We remember the day when everything turned into living color. We appreciate color just as much as the next guy, but we still have a fondness for the older things. In many ways, we have a tendency to still see the value in most things black and white. Most of us will opt watching an old I LOVE LUCY, TWILIGHT ZONE, ANDY GRIFFIN, or YOU BET YOUR LIFE rerun than a shallow reality show. We still value the things that might be void of color - in fact - most of those old shows blow most of the new shows out of the water.

A few decades ago Ted Turner got into his odd shaped head to colorize classic black and white movies. I guess he thought that color made things better - like Casablanca and It's A Wonderful Life. Not always Ted. Some things in life should just be left alone. I believe Ted eventually got it right though. My favorite television channel of all time is after all Turner Classic Movies. I usually put down the remote when I get to TCM. No reality TV here - mostly good old black and white entertainment.

So here's to black and white. It's how I was raised to see things, and probably the way I always will.

3 comments:

Darryl said...

Did you ever notice how the quality of tv series that began airing in b&w went down when the show switched to color (i.e Andy Griffith, Gilligan's Island, etc.)??

David Finlayson said...

As if, now that it's color, the writing doesn't have to be as good. There were exceptions -I do The FBI,Dragnet, and Beverly Hill Billies stayed consistant. I mentioned earlier that Combat! went down hill when it went to color (5th and last season).

Andy Griffin left not long after the show went to color and Ken Berry took residence in Mayberry RFD. It was an ok show but just wasn't the same Mayberry without Andy, Barney, Gomer, and Floyd.

Which reminds me, Gomer Pyle USMC was pretty good (for what it was) from black and white to color.

Greene Street Letters said...

Yep...Give me B&W....Not to be confused with A&W...Or C&W..oh well you know what I mean
mb