Monday, May 12, 2008

yes - a big man

If you're a babyboomer and remember a time when you wore a coon-skin cap...it was probably because of this guy. Fess Parker played two American frontiersmen heroes - as Davey Crockett for Walt Disney and later as Daniel Boone. Both movie and television shows had memorable theme songs. Fess Parker was a low key hero - the strong silent type. My favorite series was Daniel Boone because of Mingo. Mingo was played by Ed Ames, the Indian sidekick of Boone. Ed Ames was formerly a member of The Ames Brothers (1950's). You didn't want to mess with Mingo because he knew how to split a tree with a tomahawk. I thought Daniel & Mingo could kick Lone Ranger & Tonto's butt...well...I liked Daniel and Mingo better back then.

Ever think about those old movie and television stars of that day - how you wouldn't mind having them as neighbors? There were exceptions. Today I'm glad that most of the movie and television stars live in far-far away in L.A.

4 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Fess Parker...I really liked him.
Like you, He was my hero back then. I too was a DANIEL BOONE fan. Great show.
Do you remember that Fess Parker had a bit part in the 50's SCI-FI movie THEM? Yes he did....
mb

David Finlayson said...

no coonskin cap though

Anonymous said...

Ed Ames was a wonderful singer and actor and still is today. I think LR was a really nice movie, too, but really, DB is something special. I love Mingo, and it makes me sad to think of him leaving. Yet, he had his reasons.

Inahlee

David Finlayson said...

The sun must eventually set on every hero.

I enjoyed the anit-heros of the sixties but something got lost along the way, the line between good and bad faded. I miss the good guy...the real good guys that roamed the great celluloid plains...the men that shot straight and did the right thing.