Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sea Hunt!

I wasn't much of a Flipper fan but I sure did enjoy watching Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) diving the deep on Sea Hunt. I don't remember the show ever lasting long enough to turn into living color. Sea Hunt was syndicated from 1957 to 1961. I was very young for the original run but remember watching re-runs in the late sixties and early seventies. If you're just too young for Sea Hunt - maybe you'll remember the 1980 disaster-movie-spoof AIRPLANE! Lloyd Bridges played so many serious rolls that it was hillarious to see this usually very serious television actor deliver lines like "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!"
This is a publicity photo of Lloyd and his son Jeff Bridges. I can only guess that being on Sea Hunt was his dive into show business. Lloyd also had another son to become an actor named Beau...but all you boomers out there know that.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I loved Sea Hunt.
Remember when people who scuba dived were referred to as FROG MEN!
That was way cool.
I use to have some FROG MEN that you could get in KEllogg's Corn Flakes. They were different colors and each one had a place that you could put Baking powder. The men would sink to the bottom and then "Bloop" a bubble would force them back to the surface. Kinda boring by today's standards, but in the 50's...it was awesome.
mb

Brook said...

I remember those frogmen. I had a bathtub submarine like that once, but it didn't work nearly as well as the frogmen. The coolest water toy I remember (not counting the dangerous Wham-o Water Wiggle which was only funny when the water-hose powered cast-iron-under the-plastic-face whacked somebody else in the head) was a ship (destroyer?) I would play with with the submarine. Those plastic depth charges--about the size of a pencil eraser--would float down just like the ones in the war movies. That was cooler than any gizmo. Float by, drop one of those, and watch the Krauts in the U-boat sweat.

David Finlayson said...

Isn't it amazing what a kid's mind can visualize.