Thursday, August 21, 2008

the avengers

Long before Aeon Flux, Laura Croft, or Electra - there was Emma Peel. She was just as lethal as she was good-look'n. Aeon, Laura, and Electra are so one-dimensional. Emma had personality, humorous and could kick butt. See…three dimensional! Karate CHOP, keeeYah!
Emma Peel & John Steed were special agents that preceded Fox Mulder & Dana Scully of The X-Files. Emma & John solved quirky cases with daring-do and dry British banter and charm. They'd usually end each solved case with a glass of brandy and a bit of dry wit.

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

crush of my crushes...
Emma...
I never missed an episode of the Avengers.
I have the last episode that Dianna Riggs played in. Broke my heart to learn that she was married (we knew that) but that her husband who had been missing suddenly showed up.
Last scene was He and her riding away, she's looking back at Steed with a smile as if to say, "thanks John for all you did.
Of course they introduced Steed's new partner Tara King. Steed made comment about her name...Tara. She replied "As in Boom De Ay".
mb

David Finlayson said...

Though the show never lost it's cleverness and wit - no female lead could ever really fill Diana Rigg's black leather boots. It was a great show nevertheless. Even The New Avengers (76-77) was enjoyable to watch.

I do remember that last episode of Emma Peel's. It was a quick and low key exit. Appropriate I suppose. As I read your comment - the imagery returned to me.