Friday, August 22, 2008

do you know the count and the amount?

Tom York of Birmingham's WBRC Channel 6 hosted DIALING FOR DOLLARS. This show was one of my favorites. No, he never called our house but he showed all the old classic 30's-40's horror, cold war atomic creature features, and mystery movies sandwiched in between his telephone calls. By the way, did he ever call anyone outside of the Birmingham area? Probably not.

Basically, you had to be watching the show in order to know the count and the amount. Tom would be standing by the phone cold-calling unsuspecting home dwellers just before commercial break.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

I couldn't wait to get off of the bus and go inside to see what the movie was.
I remember that there were a lot of AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL pictures shown. For me personally, I always loved it when it was raining and I wasn't expected to go outside and do my chores and play. I could stay in and catch the flick. My mom would all about getting my homework done. I would reply about some study doctors had done and it was a proven fact that kids needed to unwind after school before they tackled homework. We had been studying hard all day and our brains needed to rest. Of course my Mom didn't buy that hooey-balooey. Mom's are like that...yeah they are!
mb