Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the invasion of the children snatchers

I can't tell you where I was when Kennedy was shot, or Martin Luther King for that matter. I can tell you where I was when I first heard The Beatles. I was standing in Jennie Llew's house on 322 Wateree Avenue in Columbia, SC. It was in the day when the Dad and Mom packed the six kids and luggage on and atop the powder blue Ford Squire wagon and take the long haul to visit the kinfolk. We took about two trips a year to see the Columbia Finlaysons - one during the summer and one at Christmas.

The first Beatles song I heard was not from the mouth of John, Paul, George, or Ringo. I was standing in a room filled with non-rock and roll loving adults when Brooky, Jennie, Irene (along with a neighborhood kid named David Wrisley) came running through the house singing "I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND!" It was a catchy tune and I believe dad asked what they were singing. The children informed Dad that it was a song by The Beatles and then ran on out the back door while continuing to sing "I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND" over and over again. I was so moved in the moment of that hand holding song that I too blurted out a chorus of the song. It was too late for grown-ups everywhere - the invasion came and victory was already sealed by the Brits. Dad, along with most adults of that day didn't take too kindly to that new variety of rock and roll music. It would take time before they would warm up to it - or at least cease trying to deter their children by use their powers of staunch parental disapproval.

The Beatles are the all time best Rock & Roll band that ever was. I know - I know - The Who kicked major butt but The Who didn't take America by storm like The Beatles did. I personally lean more toward The Who as far as my taste goes but I can not deny the brilliant music, the distinct sound, the impact that those fab four made our my generation.

Their earliest music is still fresh and fun to listen to. My favorite of The Beatles came later down the road with the release of Abby Road and The White Album. Never in the history of Rock & Roll music did talent and sound merge into a musical experience of that magnitude. Their music changed the direction of Rock - don't just take my word for it - go ask Elvis.

3 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

I guess you had to be there to get it. I can listen to Elvis....and it moves me. I can listen to The Who...and it makes sense. Led Zeppelin rocks. But the Beatles. I don't know. The songs are catchy. There were a few that I liked. But the HyStErIa? I don't get it. Could that happen today? Could 4 young Brits explode like that today? The Spice Girls tried.

Maybe music is so broad and expanded today that no one could make such a ripple. Rock has grown so much over the last 40 years. As a lover of music (especially rock) I can appreciate what the Beatles brought to the table. Of course....my idea of rock is different from the next guy. But it's still rock.

David Finlayson said...

These days I'd rather listen to The Who over The Beatles. Then again - I'd rather listen to the The Beatles than The Stones.

I believe that it was the time, specifically for that time amid our generation. I think you're right about music being broader today. I don't think any band could come along and have that kind of impact.

During a recent interview with Larry King - both Paul & Ringo talked about the chemistry between the four and neither could explain how it happened.

On the spiritual side, I believe all good gifts are from our Creator - what people do with those gifts is another thing.

I believe you've read or heard the Son's of Thunder dreams of James Ryle.

David Finlayson said...

Another note on the subject-

Not many bands can boast of having so many songwriters. John, Paul, and George were pretty darn good. George stands out to me because I always liked his guitar style.