Sunday, August 3, 2008

saturate before reading

It was Brook that introduced me to Jackson Browne. Most of the music I was introduced to came from listening to Brooky's ever growing LP collection. Out of all the singer songwriters to emerge from the 1970's singer-songwriter era - Jackson Browne was the cream of the crop. I remember Brook transferring the early Jackson Browne music onto to our old reel to reel. There were many times I'd haul the old machine out on to the porch and set it up on a folding table. I'd listen to his music as I worked on the lawn. Doctor My Eyes, Song For Adam, and Rock Me On The Water. Those were great songs and the first four albums (Jackson Brown, For Every Man, Late For The Sky, The Pretender) were flawless works of art. His most upbeat and fun to listen to album was his first live release Running On Empty. I remember that LP being released when I was working at a bonafied sweat shop (Rodco) in Southside, AL churning out t-shirt designs for minimum wage. Running On Empty came out and Q104 played the hell out of it. Every time I hear Load Out or Stay - I think of that crappy miserable job but the soundtrack of that time in my life was pretty cool.

Most of his albums since his first five have been hit or miss but I own every album because there's always some good songs and thought in each. My least favorite album would have to be his sold out Hold Out and Lawyers In Love. The least listened to recording of his that I have is The Naked Ride Home. That album just didn't hit home with me - no big whup. I think I listened to the CD twice and stuck it one the shelf. I couldn't tell you anything memorable about a song on it.

I have never gotten tired of listening to Jackson Browne, though there was that long period that I quit listening to him after hearing that the gentle poet beat the crap out his then girlfriend Daryl Hanna. I was disappointed in the man - I had looked up to him for all those years. It took two or three years before I started listening without thinking of him boot-stomping my favorite mermaid. I guess he'll just have to live with that big hole in his reputation - in the shape of a fist.
moving along-

A few years ago Jackson released a live album entitled Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic Vol 1. It's a great album, I thoroughly enjoyed the songs and the stories told in between. Yesterday while at the mall I noticed that Vol 2 had been released back in March. Anyone who enjoys Browne's early work will enjoy these two cd's. They are the kind of cd's that you'll keep in your player for a very long time. He does get political on each CD. He's a big no-nuke lib and you can tell he can't stand George W. He didn't like Reagan either. Just listen to Lives In The Balance from the eighties and you'll get the idea Republicans are the evil dark forces lurking behind the scenes of everything bad in the world. For all his bent to the left politics and his black and blue love life - I still appreciate his artistic genius. No, I don't care for his political views - but I have enjoyed his work and can not deny that he was an early influence.

I'll put his Acoustic Solo Vol 1 & 2 right up there with his early works. If they ask, tell them I sent you.

No comments: