Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Suess and his wicked story

We didn't have many Dr. Seuss books on our family book shelves. We did have a collection of his work entitled The Sneetches & Other Stories. The very last story in the book was called What Was I Scared Of? It was about a little Seuss creature walking home and discovered that he was being followed by a pair of pale green pants with nobody inside them. I don't know why, but as a kid that story, the images drawn creeped me out to no end. Now the story had a happy ending but it was unsettling to a little imaginative boy that never cared to look back down the dirt road when walking home as daylight dissipated. I must admit there were many times I would break out and run for home as my thoughts ran wild - unknown, unseen, creatures in the woods surrounding the road. Mysterious being just over the hill behind me - staying just out of eyesight - yet bearing down nevertheless. I wouldn't be completely safe until my sneakers touched down on my own home turf. Maybe images of that story played upon pre-existing fears of that boy named David

I don't care if the pants ended up being of the friendly sort, - I still don't like the idea of being stalked by a possessed pair of Dickies.

1 comment:

Darryl said...

For some reason, you remind me of the little boy in Seuss's "And to Think that I Saw It on Mulberry Street."