Thursday, July 30, 2009

12th Street & Meighan

There is no image for this post. For this particular one, there is no need. Years after the Merita Bread plant closed - it's doors chained and rusted - I would still get a wift of that aroma. I can't explain it. Perhaps ghosts of previous employees were still baking bread in there.

I am sure my senses were being tricked after all those years, rolling down my window every day I drove by that place to breath deep that heavenly aroma of thousands of loaves of bread being baked. I can not describe that incredible warm aroma that would fill ones nostrils and soul. The intersection at 12th and Meighan has always been a busy one. No one likes being stopped at a stop light, but this particular light, allowed the traveler to enjoy a few minutes of bliss. Here one couldn't help but breath deep and sigh.


The old white building was demolished years ago and there in it's place is a car lot. Unfortunately my mind no longer plays it's tricks on me. The ghost aroma from the old factory no longer haunts my olfactory.

4 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

My grandfather worked there, he moved from Huntsville to work there. I don't recall if he was a delivery person, manager or what. Later he opened the Billy Boy restaurant across the street; but I think I've written this before; anyways, the same thing would happen to me about the smell...denise

Jackie MacPhee said...

I, too, remember the smell of Merita bread at that intersection. I remember reading somewhere that smells are very strong triggers of memory!

Anonymous said...

I worked as a security guard there right before it closed and then later on at the warehouse by hastings park. I still remember the smell of the fresh bread :)

wineguy64 said...

I remember every Sunday morning on the way to church smelling the heavenly aroma of baked bread. As a Cub Scout, I took a tour of Merita and each of us took home a loaf fresh and hot off the line. I'll never forget the bread steamed up inside the bag!