Sunday, July 12, 2009

the passionate one

Keith Green (1953-1982) was John the Baptist with a piano. He was the passionate one. He was the most influential artist to come out of the Jesus Movement, not just because of his songs, but because of his life. Keith was probably the most well-known of the Jesus Music artists (I really don't like the term Contemporary Christian Music). While many artist were trying to make it big in the CCM industry, Keith was giving his albums away for The Kingdom. Keith was a voice in the wilderness - Keith wasn't pursuing a status of stardom - Keith was singing to increase population of heaven. To me, Keith Green represents what Jesus Music was all about - not what it became.

Make my life a prayer to You,

I want to do what you want me to,

No empty words and no white lies,

No token prayers, no compromise,

I want to shine the light you gave,

Through Your Son, you sent to save us,

From ourselves and our despair,

It comforts me to know you're really there.


Oh, I want to thank you now, for being patient with me,

Oh, it's so hard to see, when my eyes are on me,

I guess I'll have to trust and just believe what you say,

Oh, you're coming again, coming to take me away,


I want to die, and let you give,

Your life to me, so I might live,

And share the hope you gave to me,

The love that set me free,

I want to tell the world out there,

You're not some fable or fairy tail,

That I made up inside my head,

You're God, The Son, you've risen from the dead.


Oh, I want to thank you now,

For being patient with me,

Oh, it's so hard to see,

When my eyes are on me,

I guess I'll have to trust,

and just believe what you say,

Oh, you're coming again,

Coming to take me away.


I want to die, and let you give,

Your life to me, so I might give,

And share the hope you gave to me,

I want to share the love that set me free.

-Keith Green-

No comments: