Saturday, December 6, 2008

klaatu barada nikto

Hollywood is about to release a remake of the 1951 movie THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. I can guarantee you that even though with all the special effects and big name actors, it's not going to be as good as the original. I going to go see it when it comes out - but I don't have any big expectations. -

I remember the old black and white Zenith sitting in the living room. The Finlayson kids sat around the room riveted to the screen. I was a kid scared out of his pint sized wits. I jumped behind the sofa when Gort's decended the space craft. The creepy sounds as the silver giant opened it's robot laser eyes. I'd seen a lot of 50's horror movies - but this one rattled my little cage. Gort could destroy armies - Gort could defeat America - Gort could destroy worlds. I heard the screams and the cannon fire - I'd peeked around the side of the sofa and it was still standing there. Nothing was going to stop it. I remember that movie. I remember hiding behind the sofa. I didn't want to leave the room. I didn't want to miss the movie - but I was too scared to look. I don't recall another movie ever doing that to me.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

I too remember the sound as Gort stepped out of the spacecraft.
It was moving making at its finest. This remake is a tree-hugger's delight. Mean ol' mankind...they should be destroyed and allow the earth to exist free from their influence. Who better to play Klaatu than Key-AH-Nose Reeves or Reaves or whatever.
I am going to take a pass on this one. I may rent it when it comes to Pay per view. but not before.

mb