Saturday, December 20, 2008

here comes Dr. Jordan

Dr. Charles D. Jordan wasn't just our family doctor for decades - but he was a very close friend of my dads. They had been friends since the early sixties. Mother told me that East Gadsden Clinic used to be on Hoke Street when they first took Irene (one of my sisters) to Jordan back around 1961-62. Dad and Charles got along quite well and became good friends.

I know that dad did some legal work for Dr. Jordan, and that Dr. Jordan had stuck plenty of needles in Westbrook's kid's butts down through the years (professionally of course). I can attest to this because I have been a recipient Dr. Jordan's handy needle work through out my childhood. I remember many times going into my father's office and see Dr. Jordan had come by for a visit - sitting in the chair closest to dad's desk - catching up on life. Dr. Jordan was also at dad's side when he crossed over Jordan (July 1990).

Mom told me a humorous story tonight about Dr. Jordan. As I previously mentioned that Dr. Jordon would drop by. He mentioned to dad that he had an odd area on his leg and couldn't figure out what was going on. This is a great physician mind you - who are human too. Dr. Jordan dropped his pants in dad's office and showed hima red rectangular sore on his leg that baffled him. It was a definite red shape on the lateral/anterior aspect of his leg (about where the bottom of a pant pocket would be). Dad looked at the mystery mark and reminded Charles that he was a smoker. "Yes?", the Charles replied. "Well, that's a burn from your cigarette lighter Charles." They both got a laugh from that one.

I remember a day back in the early eighties that dad asked me to take him to see Dr. Jordan at his clinic to take care of a cyst that was on dad's forehead. Dr. Jordan and I got to cutting up as he was actually cutting on dad's head. Dad didn't like it that we were having so much fun together during the procedure. Up until then, I didn't know dad's friend had such a healthy sense of humor. I'm sure my dad knew about it, but didn't want any shenanigans going on while he was personally under the knife.

Florrie called me a little while ago to let me know that Dr. Jordan had died this past Thursday, December 18, 2008 at the age of 83. He was a kind doctor and a good man. I know that Dad was there to greet his old friend at the gate.

No comments: