Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Remco Tiger Joe!

This post is for Michael Bynum.

I wanted the Tiger Joe Tank too, but it was off the market by the time I knew they existed. There was a kid who lived down at the end of Red Oak Road that had one of these bad boys. It was no longer functional, but still cool never the less.

The Remco Tiger Joe Tank wasn't remote control. There was a wire that ran to a hand-held control box. I've seen a few remnants of Tiger Joes at antique stores from time to time. I found the hull of one in an Attalla consignment shop that I nearly bought to give to Michael.

A few years ago I saw a 1/6 scale remote control tank at Walmart for a little over $100.00. Ouch! The little kid in me still wanted my Tiger Joe - and that tank at at Walmart could run circles around that Tiger Joe.

I passed on the tank. What would my wife say if I came home with a hundred dollar chunk of plastic? It wasn't a small toy...where would I park it? I really thought about it folks. The tank was so big that I would have to park it in my garage.

7 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Alas, I weep....
mb

Brook said...

I saw a running 1/6 scale model of a German Tiger on the Military Channel. It was a show about the Battle of Kursk, I think. Anyway, here was this 5' long, 2' high, gas-engine powered, remote control, metal Tiger. They were showing how tank trap ditches worked and this tank was like the real thing. Talk about your boy toys!

David Finlayson said...

Brook, there are enthusiast out there building their own RC 1:6 scale tanks, half tracks, etc. There's some fun looking stuff out there.

21st Century toys made the Stuart a few years ago - now discontinued. The motorcycle and Schwimmwagen that I have was made by 21st Century.

A company, Formidable Toys International that made so-so 1:6 scale figures - produced a pretty good looking Willys Jeep that I bought about ten years ago. I pimped it out and made it look a good bit more realistic. I did an okay job. There are enthusiasts out there that buy these off the shelf and really re-work wonders.

Hasbro soon followed with their own cloth top jeep that was incredible - but I wasn't going to spend that kind of money.

I am glad that I bought what I did - because they are no longer on the market. I believe that the release of the movie Saving Private Ryan generated a market to market realistic looking toys that attracted the attention of adults. Of course they said that were buying for their sons.

Anonymous said...

The Deluxe Reading Tiger Joe tank was and I feel still is the best toy ever made. Had one as a young boy and have 7 of them now!!!!

Tanker said...

Should have checked back at Walmart, those tanks clearenced at 49.99$ each....

Unknown said...

HELP...my brother is constantly talking about the tiger tank he didn't get for christmas as a child...he is in his 50's...his wife is having a surprise b'day party for him and we would love to surprise him with his tiger tank ...finally....anyone have one they want to sell? He said he cried all night after christmas cause he didn't get one...

David Finlayson said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIGER-JOE-TANK-DELUXE-READING-TOPPER-TOYS-/120695341083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a00c01b

I just checked Ebay. There's a Tiger Joe there. The bid is ending today. The current bid is for $59.99. It looks good, but doesn't have all the pieces.

There are remote control 1/16 scale remote tanks currently on Ebay (rather small)

The old Tiger Joe was closer to the scale of the old 12" G.I. Joes which are 1/6 scale. I didn't see any of those up for bid. It's the size of the old Tiger Joe tanks that were so impressive.

This is something that you're going to have to keep an eye out for on Ebay.

Keep in mind that your brother might not want a 'Tiger' tank. There are remote control tanks out there (1/16th scale) that are the German Tiger tank.

Also, check with www.timewarptoys.com.