Sunday, June 7, 2009

favorite album as a kid

Michael Bynum's (aka: Mr. 1950's) post today regarding old console stereo units reminded me of my most favorite album in the who wide world when I was a kid. It was called Stories & Songs of the Civil War, from the RCA Victor's Bluebird Children's Recording Catalog. It was narrated by Ralph Bellamy and chock full of authentic songs of the North & South. My favorite song on the album was Goober Peas. I loved the cover art of this album. It would be great to have a copy of this album today. I don't know what ever happened to our copy. The Finlayson clan probably wore the thing out. I'd love to have it if not just for the album cover art.

peas peas peas peas
eat'n goober peas
goodness how delicious
eat'n goober peas!

2 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

I remember the Centinial of the Civil War back in 1961. All the men around here grew beards. It was the first and only time I saw my Dad with a beard. There were parades and the state produced a Centinial map of Alabama where engagements happene between the South and the North. It was a high old time. One of which we probably could not partake today for fear of being called Politically incorrect.
mb

David Finlayson said...

My dad grew a beard as well. I have a picture somewhere around here of my father in-law sporting one.