Tuesday, June 30, 2009

blue jays

Justin Hayward and John Lodge (of Moody Blues) came out with 'Blue Jays' album back in 1975. It was wonderful ride and one of my favorite albums of that time. This album wasn't intended to be Jesus Music - but I listened to it as such. There was a local band at the time that I've mentioned from time to time, PSALM, that was a Christian group in the area (from Centre, AL). They had the same ethereal quality to their music. Barry Goss and Arnie Sanford mingled their voices like Justin Hayward and John Lodge. I wished that they had recorded.

'Blue Jays', like most of the Moody Blues music, was a rock band with a large sound - a vast orchestral sound scape. I used to put the head phones on as a teenager and simply fall into this album. When the last song played out - I would flip it back over to Side A and fall all over again.

This YouTube video is "Blue Guitar' which wasn't on the original 'Blue Jays' album - but added as a bonus track when the CD version was releases in 1987. Blue guitar....hmmmm. Maybe it was Jesus Music after all.

3 comments:

Brook said...

My favorite Moody Blues song is "The Question" which opened the LP Question of Balance. I think that song expressed the spiritual longing that was in the air in the late '60s and early '70s. From "Why do we never get an answer" to "I'm looking for someone to change my life/I'm looking for a miracle in my life," the lyric AND the music (from orchestral overture to plaintive solo voice and guitar and back again) resonated with me. I wanted to capture some of that at the time and actually give an answer.

Greene Street Letters said...

I had totally forgotten about this album but it was one of my favorite. I'm also learning a lot about you guys, I didn't know that you were MOODY BLUES fans. I first came to listen to them in 1969 and heavily in 1972.
mb

David Finlayson said...

Arnie was a big Moody Blues fan too - not hard to imagine.