Tuesday, January 6, 2009

cherry grove

My uncle Murdoch Finlayson, who passed away this past Summer, owned a small property in Cherry Grove which was just north of Myrtle Beach, SC. It was a great little house that he'd let his kin stay. It was not beach front property, but close enough. I remember one Summer we drove down that Brook and I were given a butch haircut. Mom had also purchased the two of us matching khaki cargo pants with a big pockets and a little clip sewn on to hang important stuff. I don't know why pants had to have a clip on it but I thought it was golly-gee whiz-cool as all get out. I remember Brook liking the pants but not very keen on the idea that I had a matching pair. I felt like a real Jungle Jim with mine. I remember walking down the sandy road toward the beach with my brother. I remember checking out the small beach front stores there.

There were all kinds of little frogs in that area - especially in Murd's backyard. I remember finding an old milk carton and filling it with little frogs. It's not something I would do today - but it was the kind of thing a little kid thought worth while.

Along the way Dad had stopped by and picked up a case of Blenheim Ginger Ale. They were in the glass bottles of various degrees of burn. It's been a very long time since I've had a Blenheim - a locally made beverage bottled in the Cheraw, SC area. I remember a large case of them sitting on the table, available to anyone brave enough to drink one. If you ever come across one - I strongly recommend the mild. If you do take on the XXX - don't dare gulp it - start with a sip decide how you'd ought proceed from there.

I don't remember leaving Murdoch's place on Cherry Grove - but I always wanted to go back. He sold it along the way. Most of our vacations growing up were to Columbia, SC - visiting Dad's brother's and sisters. I don't care much for beaches, the sand, the hotel lined shores, and the sun-baked masses. My Cherry Grove memory is that of a vast uncluttered shore, a little beach house, and family. It's the stuff dreams are made of - and I am fortunate to have a memory made of it.

CLOSER VIEW
Brooky, Irene, David (on lap), Dad (wearing argyle socks and braces) and Jennie.

4 comments:

Darryl said...

Some of Cherry Grove has changed quite a bit, while other parts are probably quite similar. We spent a week there a couple of years ago and had a great time.

Blehheim Ginger Ale is still the same -- and yes, the hot is very spicy!

When you lived in KY, did you ever drink Ale 8? It wasn't a ginger ale, but a great local soft drink, along the lines of a kicked-up Mountain Dew.

David Finlayson said...

I never did. I guess that's something to look forward to experiencing.

Greene Street Letters said...

Here's the story...
OF a man named Westbrook....
Who was busy with children in his lap....

Dude!
It looks like your dad has all the litte Finlayson's corraled behind the old fence.
Did he take you out back and brand you with the FLYING F Brand?
Cool....
Great picture David.
mb

David Finlayson said...

yes - remind me to show you the brand next time