Thursday, January 29, 2009

what - me worry?


Mad Magazine was one of my favorite reads as a kid. The humor was off beat and sharp. The illustration work was always magnificent. My favorite part of this demented publication were the movie parodies. I also enjoyed the little cartoon humor drawn within the margins. You always got your money's worth with Mad. The guys that put this together were funny and definitely not lazy. Al Jaffe's fold-in at the back of the magazines were also something to look forward to. I remember purchasing some Mad's in the mid-70's and found some of their old comic book reprints as inserts. Mad started out as a comic book and changed to magazine format sometime in the mid-fifties. The brand of humor was later echoed in such comedies as Saturday Night Live and Madtv.

1 comment:

Greene Street Letters said...

My first run in with MAD magazine?
1959, I was 8 years old and me and my mother had taken the buss to Chattanooga to visit my Aunt Flora. My cousin Gary had a stack of MAD Magazines that he let me read while I was there. I had never read anything like them before. SPY vs. SPY, The movie spoofs, I mean it was just the most incredible thing I had ever read. As we were getting ready to leave, Gary gave me the stack to take home. It was like the greatest treasure an 8 yr. old could have received because I read them all the way home. I was hooked. Still to this day if I pass by a magazine rack and I see MAD, I'll stop and thumb through it.
mb