Wednesday, January 14, 2009

KAHHHHHN!

I know played Captain Kirk's greatest arch enemy in Star Trek (Wrath of Khan). I know he was the Fantasy Island dude - but Ricardo Montalbam will always be the guy that hawked the Chrysler Cordoba - with "soft corinthian leather!" Every one thought he said "rich corinthian leather" - but he never did. In the commercials he said fine or soft - but never rich. I believe that Saturday Night Live did a spoof of the Montalban Chrysler commercial during that time (late seventies) and maybe Dan Akroyd used the term "rich corinthian leather." Another thing about the unforgetable phrase - THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS CORINTHIAN LEATHER - it was just a marketing ploy. It was nothing special that was meant to sound like something special - sucker beware.

I just read wear Ricardo Montalban died today at the age of 88. I think that it would be appropriate for them to upholster his casket with some of that fine corinthian leather.

5 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

I remember his graciousness on Fantasy Island......Wrath of Kahn freaked me out as a small child.......watching those creatures go into that guys ears......freaked!

David Finlayson said...

ewwwwww - thanks for the memory

Darryl said...

Don't forget to roll your r when you say "Fine Corinthian Leather" . . .

My brother had a baby blue Cordoba with T-tops -- sadly, I think it was upholstered in "fine synthetic vinyl."

David Finlayson said...

no - that was fine corinthian vinyl

Greene Street Letters said...

There is no hide like a Naugahide.
mb