Thursday, January 22, 2009

Johnny Horton

My friend Michael B. posted about singer/songwriter Johnny Horton not too long ago. Johnny was a very popular country/rockabilly performer back in the fifties. He is most remembered for his hit saga songs; North To Alaska, Battle of New Orleans, Johnny Reb and Sink the Bismark.

Johnny always had a premonition about his own death - that he'd be killed by a drunk driver in which he was. Both he and Johnny Cash were good friends. When Cash heard of the collision - he locked himself in a bar-room bathroom and wept.

3 comments:

Greene Street Letters said...

Funny how the lines that now divide music really didn't exist that much back in the 50's. We all considered it to just be good music.
mb

David Finlayson said...

I've mentioned it before - radio today just isn't the same. I liked the way AM radio used to be - playing all kinds of music from country to folk - to rock - to movie soundtracks to whatever.

Some bozo came along and decided to separate music by genre. If I had a station, I'd turn back the clock and just play good stuff.

RODRIGUEZ said...

I would like to hear a station like that.